Thursday, February 5, 2009

Moving Day

My first blog post ever. Here it goes...

Monday/Tuesday. I say this because I moved to Germany today and my day lasted 2 days. So Monday was my flight. Like normal, I tried fitting as much as possible into the day before leaving.

First I went to the gym. The workout was a culmination of a program I have been using since September. The premise of the program is that you test yourself with maximum lifts to see what your starting point is. Then you proceed with the 16 weeks of workouts and then perform another testing day (to see improvements). The author calls this final workout "Moving Day" (the first one is "Packing Day"). Now, I did not plan it this way but you cannot miss the irony.

So after the gym, in which I went up in all 4 exercises, I picked up the last few essentials at Harmons and got ready. Cursing and screaming, I finally fit everything into my luggage. I felt I needed one last dose of New Jersey (for the next 3 months anyway) by going to the White Diamond to get a Taylor Ham and Cheese sandwich (it was post-workout).

I flew Lufthansa, which I have never flown on before, to Dusseldorf and arrived at about 6AM local time (midnight back home). I found it kind of funny, and would have taken a picture of it had I had a camera on me, but the seats were made by Recaro -- who also makes aftermarket racing seats for cars. I then had about 10 minutes before being shuttled off to my plan headed for Stuttgart. Arriving in Stuttgart at 8AM I quickly picked up my bags and met with my real-estate agent at my new apartment. I then drove to Möhringen, one of the many Daimler offices (parent company of Mercedes-Benz), where I needed to go to get my working visa.

I decided it might be best to get some food so I found an Aldi supermarket and bought some essentials -- eggs, bread, water, chicken, toilet paper. The cashier looked at me like I was crazy when I asked, in broken German, if I could use a Visa credit card.

All in all, it was a loooong day but I am now here. This week I plan to pay a visit to a local fitness center I found while googling the area. That and I need to get a mobile phone without getting roped into a long-term contract. For now.... Auf Wiedersehen (See you later)!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Chris, right into the first trap, my main man. Aldi is very cheap, and until a couple of years ago they only accepted cash so they would need less working capital. Wal Mart lost out against them and retreated from Germany as the price competition was too fierce for them (seriously!) They will accept cards for checking accounts, but definitely not credit cards. Get some cash, buddy, no one's gonna rob you in Stuttgart! See you in 3 weeks!

    Andreas

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and ask your colleagues about "SG Stern", the Daimler sports group. They offer all kinds of sports and you get to meet real Germans. Scary ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how much did your lifts go up? Were you happy with the results? Germany sounds like it will be a blast. Have fun!

    ReplyDelete