Saturday, May 2, 2009

Easter - Italy

I spent Good Friday until Wednesday in Barcelona. I then flew from Barcelona to Florence. I got a chance to meet up with my uncle, as some of his friends, in Florence. He arrived in Italy about a week earlier and was traveling throughout the country for a month. It was cool since he lives in California and I don't get a chance to see him that often. It has been about 2 years since I had seen him. I got to see the Uffizi (Birth of Venus painting), Accadamia (Statue of David), Duomo, and the Ponte Vecchio. The views from the top of the bell tower (the line for the top of the Duomo was too long) was spectacular. 360 degree view of Florence and its surrounding was something special. Things would not have been complete if I didn't sample the world famous Gelatto and bought 2 bottles of wine (oddly enough from the same woman I bought a bottle from about 2 years ago).

Statue of David

Ponte Vecchio

On Saturday morning I boarded a plane headed for Rome. I told you I was a bit insane. First thing I did was go to the Colosseum. I've been kicking myself for the last 2 years because I was shut out the last time I was in Rome. The weather held out long enough so that it didn't rain on me until nighttime. I was able to spend a few hours at the Colosseum and take pictures. I then made the trek to the Pantheon, Trevi Fountain (where it decided to rain for about 10 minutes), and then the Spanish Steps. Of course I threw three coins into the Trevi Fountain (over the left shoulder with the right hand) so I guaranteed I will be returning to Rome.

The Colosseum

Pantheon

Trevi Fountain

That night I decided to treat myself to a proper Italian dinner. I went to a fantastic home-style Italian restaurant called Checchino dal 1887. Antipasti, primo, and secondo. I had Antipast with champagne, pasta, and then Veal Saltimbocca with a glass of Brunello di Montalcino (red wine) and finished it all off with an espresso. It cost be 60 Euro (about 80 USD) which is easily the most I have spent on myself at a single meal. It was well worth it. Every bite was extraordinary and I will definitely go back the next time I am in Rome.

The view from the top


Sunday I went over to the Vatican. Though the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel were closed, I got to see St. Peter's Basilica. I had a chance to attend mass but opted out of it feeling that it would be kind of hypocritical at this point. The Pope was not conducting the mass, otherwise I don't think I would have passed on the opportunity. Instead I braved the stairs (choosing not to take the elevator) to see the magnificent view from the top of the dome (cupola). After leaving the Vatican it began to rain, and did not stop until I got on the train to go to the airport! I was soaking wet by that time and was exhausted. I had a really late flight out of Rome, with a stop-over in Zurich, and finally arrived at 11:30pm in Stuttgart. Let's just say the next morning, it was not easy getting up to go to the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment